Amaryllis (A. belledonna)-poisonous plant

Amaryllis (A. belledonna)

General poisoning notes:

Amaryllis (Amaryllis belladonna) is an ornamental plant commonly sold for its winter flowers. Ingesting the bulbs has poisoned humans. The toxic alkaloid, lycorine, is the principal toxin, although small quantities of related alkaloids are also present (Lampe and McCann 1985; Fuller and McClintock 1986).

Nomenclature:

Scientific Name: Amaryllis belladonna L.
Vernacular name(s): amaryllis (A. belledonna)
Scientific family name: Amaryllidaceae
Vernacular family name: amaryllis

Geographic Information

Plant or plant parts used in or around the home.

Toxic parts:

Bulbs

Notes on Toxic plant chemicals:

Lycorine, a heat-stable alkaloid, is found in Amaryllis spp. as well as Clivia spp., Galanthus nivalis, and Narcissus spp. This chemical occurs in small quantities in Amaryllis species, so that large quantities of bulb must be eaten to cause symptoms (Lampe and McCann 1985).

Toxic plant chemicals:

Lycorine

Animals/Human Poisoning:

Note: When an animal is listed without additional information, the literature (as of 1993) contained no detailed explanation.

Humans

General symptoms of poisoning:

Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting

comment 0 nhận xét:

Post a Comment

 
© Pharmacognosy | Plants | herbal | herb | traditional medicine | alternative | Botany | © Copyright 2012 ; Email: epharmacognosy@gmail.com